
I was admitted to the hospital on 8/28 after the ultrasound showed that the fluid around the baby was 2.67 and if you remember from previous emails they don't like it to be under 5. So they started the induction at 5:00 pm on 8/28 and I was only fingertip dilated. They did 3 treatments of mesoprostin (sp?) each every 3 hours. I was then only dilated to 3 and 60% effaced. They started the oxytocin and that really started the contractions but they were too fast coming every 30 seconds. They slowed the oxytocin. My blood pressure started to go out of control so they put me on magnesium drip and a catheter (I don't recommend) to prevent seizures. I think this was about 2:30 on 8/29. My blood pressure didn't come down and they started giving me shots of blood pressure medicine. I was then given an epidural to help my BP get back under control and prevent a c-section. The epidural worked for the BP but the baby's heart rate started to dip so they had to put additional fluid in to protect her and the umbilical cord from the contractions. I think at about 4 or 5 I was only to 4 and I was looking at a long night. At about 7:15 the nurse said let me check again and what do you know I was fully dilated, she called the doctor.
Claire Sharon Cousineau was born on 8/29/08 at 8:29 pm. She was 5 pounds, 7 ounces and 19 inches long. I am sure I am a little partial but she is absolutely perfect!
The past 5 days have flown by!!!
We had to stay in labor and delivery for 24 hours and I stayed on the magnesium drip (and catheter) to make sure I didn't seize. That sucks because I still couldn't eat anything.
Claire was a little sleepy at first because of the magnesium and epidural. I really didn't want all of the medicine but it was the only way to ensure a safe delivery. She is a lot more alert now (well as much as a 5 day old baby can be). Her favorite time is the 5:00 am feeding. She had a borderline case of jaundice but that is getting better now. We set the alarm for every 2 hours to wake her up and feed her. Her discharge weight was 5 pounds 1 ounce but at the doctor appointment yesterday she was back to 5 pounds 4 1/2 ounces. The breastfeeding was a little rocky at first but is going much better.
We are truly blessed and there is nothing that describes the first time you see your child and the feeling you get every time you look at her.
Claire Sharon Cousineau was born on 8/29/08 at 8:29 pm. She was 5 pounds, 7 ounces and 19 inches long. I am sure I am a little partial but she is absolutely perfect!
The past 5 days have flown by!!!
We had to stay in labor and delivery for 24 hours and I stayed on the magnesium drip (and catheter) to make sure I didn't seize. That sucks because I still couldn't eat anything.
Claire was a little sleepy at first because of the magnesium and epidural. I really didn't want all of the medicine but it was the only way to ensure a safe delivery. She is a lot more alert now (well as much as a 5 day old baby can be). Her favorite time is the 5:00 am feeding. She had a borderline case of jaundice but that is getting better now. We set the alarm for every 2 hours to wake her up and feed her. Her discharge weight was 5 pounds 1 ounce but at the doctor appointment yesterday she was back to 5 pounds 4 1/2 ounces. The breastfeeding was a little rocky at first but is going much better.
We are truly blessed and there is nothing that describes the first time you see your child and the feeling you get every time you look at her.


No comments:
Post a Comment